The architectural review process can be tedious and entirely manual without software. Here’s an example of how this process might play out:
- Homeowner calls HOA or management company for a copy of the submission form.
- Board member, managers or homeowner go over in person to retrieve/drop off the paper copies of the forms.
- Files need to be scan and emailed to all architectural board for review.
- One Board member votes to approve in email thread…another follows suit.
- Follow-up email to all Board members reminding that a vote is required from each member before a final decision can be made….only one more member votes.
- It’s the a holiday or holiday season, so half the Board is out of town or not checking emails regularly.
- Text messages are sent to the stragglers to vote…two more votes come in.
- A phone call is placed to the last holdout for a vote and finally, all seven votes in……universal approval.
- Someone has to draft the approval letter, copying and pasting language from letters sent to other homeowners with similar requests.
Most of the effort in the manual process is tracking down architectural board members and hounding them until they vote on the proposed plan. Automating plan submission, review, communication, voting, and the letter generated using the eUnify Resident Portal and uManage can save so much time and headache. Here is what the process looks like now using eUnify online tools:
- Homeowner logs into their portal account and adds a new architectural plan, including photos, technical specs and other documents, contractor information, and description of the plan. Submission of the plan by the homeowner triggers an email notification to each board member.
- Board members log in to the portal and within a few clicks can review and cast an up or down vote. All discussion in the review process takes place in the portal via private forum, visible to Board Members only.
- The Chair casts the final vote, which automatically triggers the production of the decision letter by combining a form template with plan details and final vote information. The letter is sent via email and snail mail automatically from uManage.
Taking the architectural review process online with eUnify keeps Board Members on top of incoming proposals so they don’t miss deadlines, saves valuable time and helps the community not end up with a Hello Kitty pink house. Start treating your architectural proposals in a more uniform way!